market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:08:24 -0400

On Mar 19, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland wrote:

The only parsley that has (so far) survived our drought is deep in weeds. Weeded parsley long ago turned white and plants died.

Interesting. I have long wondered about the standard wisdom that weeds steal the moisture. I've noted that, during dry spells, bare ground quickly becomes parched near the surface, but ground growing weeds (or, often, ground growing crops) remains moist a lot longer. I suspect the weeds may be bringing up moisture from deep in the ground; your parsley seems to indicate that the crop may be able to steal some of that moisture from the weeds.

Of course, I've also found that weedy parsley doesn't regrow nearly as well after cutting as weeded parsley. But then, dead parsley isn't going to regrow at all.