market-farming - [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carol Moss <mossgathers AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:59:20 -0500

I realize the thought of weeds in the pumpkin patch offend our sense of cultivating pumpkins but I thought more about it. I have grown okra in rows next to pumpkins many times. They appreciate the shade here in Texas. I notice the pumpkin vines tend to grow over to the okra and produce pumpkins in the shade beneath the okra plants. So the pumpkins like weeds comment does make sense in that context.
 I have also used corn gluten meal in early spring to inhibit the growth of weeds. You have to trench the area where you will plant seeds and fill with compost or the seeds won't sprout in the corn gluten meal treated soil. The corn gluten meal is the only herbicide I use since I mulch heavily and hand cultivate on my small farm.
Carol Moss
 Moss Gathers
Celina, TX 75009