market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:03:18 -0400

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:55:14 -0400, Road's End Farm wrote:

> This is an area in which I would really like to see more research done. We
> have long since moved on from "insects are bad! kill them all off!" to "some
> insects are beneficial, some neutral, and even of the pests certain levels
>of
> infestation are easily tolerated by certain crops at specific growth
>stages".
> I wonder if a similar attitude isn't a better way to approach weeds.

http://www.growingmagazine.com/article.php?id=4841

This article addresses some of that--weeds are worst at some times, not so
bad at others. The list is pretty small, and if this represents the extent of
the research, more's the pity.

It would be nice to favor a weed that doesn't go to seed and doesn't spread
vegetatively. But of course, that's not really a weed...

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/