market-farming - [Market-farming] bugs in worm compost/soil mix for potting up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rachel Evans <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] bugs in worm compost/soil mix for potting up
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:46:35 -0700

We just harvested our first big batch of homemade worm compost. Our plan is
to use it in our potting mix when we pot up tomatoes into 3" pots. We
haven't used any of it yet, and I was just looking at it and see that there's
a ton of these tiny white bugs in it--they're curled up on themselves like
little shrimp, may have little legs but couldn't really tell. Any idea if
these are good or bad or neutral?

Also, what proportions of compost/peat/perlite/etc are people using in their
potting-up mix? I'm also going back and forth about whether to put
fertilizer directly in the mix or foliar feed.

Thanks!

--
Rachel Evans
The Sunshine Farm