market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins, Weeds and Shade
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:07:50 -0400

On Mar 19, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Richard Robinson wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:55:14 -0400, Road's End Farm wrote:

This is an area in which I would really like to see more research done. We
have long since moved on from "insects are bad! kill them all off!" to "some
insects are beneficial, some neutral, and even of the pests certain levels of
infestation are easily tolerated by certain crops at specific growth stages".
I wonder if a similar attitude isn't a better way to approach weeds.

http://www.growingmagazine.com/article.php?id=4841

This article addresses some of that--weeds are worst at some times, not so bad at others. The list is pretty small, and if this represents the extent of the research, more's the pity.

It does sound as if people are working in that area, however; which is good to know. That's a good article; thanks for posting it.