market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onion plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onion plants
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:01:51 -0500

cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

The potatoes will be fine, for awhile. But the onions? What do I do? The boxes say remove plants immediately! And, do what? Normally they arrive, we plant. No big deal. Now, I don't know when we will be able to plant, and these things are ready to go. Do I take them out of the boxes? Keep them moist? Move to greenhouse, keep them cool, What? I don't know!!!
I *believe* that you should keep them cool and damp--as you would strawberry crowns if you rec'd them too early to plant. But to be on the safe side, I'd call the company and ask them the best way to preserve them.

I also know that they'll probably do fine at room temp for up to three weeks because......one year our order was lost in the mail. It was replaced, and the lost order showed up 3 wks later. 80% of the plants did ok when planted at that late date, and that was plants that had NO water for three weeks :-(

Bobbett