market-farming - [Market-farming] growing onion sets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] growing onion sets
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:26:40 -0500

Can anyone tell me how to do it in zone 6?

Normally I grow my own plants, and this year I'm making a diligent effort to save my own seed (I did it last yr, but the seed was mixed; this year I aim to keep it separated and not cross pollinated).

I got seeds of a variety I want to grow (it was back-ordered) but it's too late for me to get them up and producing well for this yr. Since onion seeds don't tend to store well, I thought I'd:

plant these late season to make sets (if someone will tell me how)
save the sets and put them in the ground 2012
some will bolt, as I hoped, and then I'll have seeds saved from 2012 that I can use in 2013

Saves me a bundle not having to buy onion seeds yr after yr.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, for those who have successfully saved bought onion seeds for more than one season, how'd you do it?

ty,
Bobbett, KY/zone 6