market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Johnathan Avery Yelenick" <yelenick AT riseup.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:58:25 -0700 (MST)

cool. i would be very interested in the paper if you could find it Bill.+
p.s. i've got access to pubMed
Thanks!
Johnathan Yelenick

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:05:33 -0600
From: Bill Scheffler <pureprairie AT gmail.com>
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>

photosynthesis - The most important living function along with nitrogen

> fixing by our microbial friends. Here's a sine qua non function for life
> via the idiosyncratic nitrogenase protein. Maybe some day dicots and
> monocots will be engineered or naturally uptake this protein's genes, or
> maybe just incorporate these microbes as an organelle, much like how
> chloroplasts and mitochondria have been incorporated from a microbial
> ancestor.
> Regards,
> Johnathan Yelenick

Already been tried Jonathan!

It didn't work. They put N fixing nodules on wheat and maybe oats and grew
it
out. The plants were beautiful but no grain.

The explanation the article gave was that the N fixers pulled so much carbs
that the plant had no extra energy to set flower or grain.

Similar to how synthetic nitrogen takes a huge amount of energy to make,
it seems our N fixing friends also draw a lot of energy from the plant.

If this explanation is true then for our legume crops to both fix N *and*
fruit or bear seed,
well, this has to be one the great accomplishments/creations of all time and
to do it for
free is worthy of religious admiration.

Bill

PS; I tried to find the article but I was not successful. Sorry!