market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:14:00 -0600

Bill,
Does the sugar content of our veggies vary from morning to afternoon, like our hay crops? The sugar in hay is higher in the afternoons, so we try to cut at least later in the morning to capture that higher sugar.

Mike

Bill Shoemaker wrote:
I'd encourage all of you to use this tool (refractometer). You'll learn a lot about the crops and the market you deal with.
Couple of suggestions. Sample some of the produce in the supermarkets around you, test
it, and think about the qualitative difference the results reveal between the fresh
product you sell and the "unfresh" product they sell. Does that represent a
market value?

Second, sugar in plants comes from photosynthesis. This is the most important
living function on earth, as it takes sunlight and creates food. Watching brix
levels in your crops creates an opportunity to think about; the health of your
crops, why others (bugs, fungi, deer, .....) want to eat them, and the health of
the ecosystem around you. We live in an amazing biosphere! For me, it also gives
amazing insight into the very nature of life (like I really know??! ":o )