market-farming - [Market-farming] Soil Minerals and compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Melissa Hatalsky" <mlhat65 AT midtel.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Soil Minerals and compost
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:03:01 -0500

Dear Allan in WV and list,
www.soilminerals.com

I have scratched the surface of this site with great interest and all ready have a question. Perhaps someone can answer for me.

I read the area about using manure and the minerals found (among other scary things) in manure from animals. The "free manure" sign at the Vet hospital was especially interesting and I too wonder how many unsuspecting backyard gardeners took advantage of the offer without giving much thought to the source.

Here at my small farm we too use Horse Manure from our OWN animals. They are however, fed our own organic hay, whole cleaned organic oats and a supplement called "Power Horse". This is a naturally chelated mineral source mined from the earth. There are NO added fillers or drugs or ANYTHING. It comes straight from the earth and quite literally looks like powdered clay or dirt. You can read about the actual mineral content on the suppliers web site and if anyone is interested just google Power horse minerals. They are NOT chemically wormed. We substitute natural holistic methods as opposed to conventional.

My animals are pillars of health. One even has Navicular syndrome, but no longer has any of the pain or symptoms associated with it. Anyone who sees them asks what we feed them. Can I assume that the benefits of these minerals is also being passed on to the manure? Is there a way to test manure samples for this or only as finished compost or soil tests??

Thanks,
Melissa
Central NY