market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Scheffler <pureprairie AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:00:50 -0600

Thanks Bill,

My understanding is that available minerals optimize sugar production creating
the buffer that I referred to.

Bill

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, William H Shoemaker <wshoemak AT illinois.edu> wrote:

Minerals play less of a role than energy balance. Sugar is raw energy to the plant. What we harvest is surplus to respiration, which consumes sugar. As Mike notes, it is low in the morning after the plant respires all night with no photosynthesis. It rises during the day as photosynthesis creates more reserves. Other metabolic processes are important, but these two are primary. So the variation is quite normal, though less in C4 plants, like maize.

Bill

Does the sugar content of our veggies vary from morning to afternoon,
like our hay crops?  The sugar in hay is higher in the afternoons, so we
try to cut at least later in the morning to capture that higher sugar.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm new to the list.

The more mineralized a plant is, the less the variation, with calcium
being the lead.

Bill Scheffler
Chicago area
pureprairiefarm.com