market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:21:25 -0600

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:13:12PM +0000, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
> We heated our greenhouse with kerosene for a couple of years, that is until
> the price of kerosene went through the roof. Our heater is not vented
> either. You have to know your limitations I guess. We now heat with diesel.
> Stinks to high heaven! But, it works. We mostly have sunny days so the
> heater doesn't run during the day. I won't work in the greenhouse if the
> heater is running, and my son knows not to ever go in there when the heater
> is running. It has never hurt the plants. If we go into an extended period
> of cloudy days, cold nights, then I start seeing a bit of yellowing on the
> leaves, but as soon as we return to "normal" the plants grow out of it. We
> do have two exhaust fans on one end, and I run those and open the door or
> the back if it is not too cold to let the fumes out and get fresh air in.

I have a tank of used, but filtered and de-watered, vegetable oil that
might be a suitable replacement for fuel oil. I've run it 50-50 in
some diesel tractors and trucks. It is sold for bio-diesel stock and
is always somewhat cheaper than diesel. It does make diesel engines
smell better. Let my try to dig out the URL for my supplier.....
http://dieselgreenfuels.com/
You might have a similar place near you.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 776 days 10 hours 14 minutes