market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:43:32 -0600

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 04:32:44PM -0600, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:
> Greetings,
> We dewater and filter the waste veggie oil from our local fire
> department fish fry every year. We run our tractor on it, works like a
> charm, sure smell a lot nicer than diesel, but it can make you hungry.<grin>
> Bright Blessings,
> Kim, Texas
>
> Willie McKemie wrote:
> >
> > I have a tank of used, but filtered and de-watered, vegetable oil that
> > might be a suitable replacement for fuel oil. I've run it 50-50 in
> > some diesel tractors and trucks. It is sold for bio-diesel stock and

Note that I haven't RECOMMENDED running WVO in diesel engines. I've
had about $5K in tractor repairs this year that implicates WVO. But,
I've saved maybe $100 in fuel costs :-( Some engines seem to tolerate
it better than others. I've been told that injector pumps with output
lines in a row are less durable than those whose lines come out in a
circle. I've run a lot of WVO in old Isuzu pickups and an old
Mitsubishi tractor with no trouble. Had to change very expensive
injector pumps on two newish Zetors. I also had an injector pump
failure in a John Deere 3010, but I'm told they have plastic internal
parts that are doomed to fail.

Over the past couple of years, I've used about two hundred gallons of
WVO mixed with about two hundred gallons of diesel.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 776 days 12 hours 30 minutes