market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations for web / blog pages?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations for web / blog pages?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:59:52 -0500

Road's End Farm wrote:
> We're considering getting a farm web page, possibly through a blogging
> site; and are curious as to this group's recommendations. Right now
> we're looking at Wordpress as the host, but might be open to other
> suggestions. If we're going with wordpress, we need to pick a theme,
> and would appreciate suggestions there also.

I have experience only with Wordpress, so my opinion is not very
enlightened. But it does a damn good job, I do not see why I would want
to use anything else for basic stuff.

Example of a very nice Wordpress farm blog:

http://tinyfarmblog.com

My friend Ghislain (in French, but worth looking at just for the feel)
is not super technical, yet he did something pretty awesome if you ask me:

http://agroecogigi.com

The nice thing with Wordpress is that hosting is free if you are willing
to live with a .wordpress.com subdomain. It allows to play for a while
before commiting to a full-fledge hosting account.

Plus, Wordpress is open source, and the company behind it so far as an
impeccable track record in this regard.

> I'd like to have some but limited pictures on the opening page (many
> of our customers are likely to be on dialup), but be able to have some
> pictures on the inside pages also.

That really should not be a problem, whichever hosting platform you choose.