market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations for web / blog pages?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations for web / blog pages?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:48:18 -0500

Hi all --

We're considering getting a farm web page, possibly through a blogging site; and are curious as to this group's recommendations. Right now we're looking at Wordpress as the host, but might be open to other suggestions. If we're going with wordpress, we need to pick a theme, and would appreciate suggestions there also.

I'd like to have some but limited pictures on the opening page (many of our customers are likely to be on dialup), but be able to have some pictures on the inside pages also.
Market Farm Shop Talk is built on Wordpress! I love it as a CMS.
Blogs are great as farm sites since you can get personal and communicate so easily with your customers. It's easier to say "We're out of so-and-so" at market when you've blogged about the hail storm or the cows getting into the garden--customers understand. I'm not very familiar with wordpress.com as I do self-hosted versions but it is a very flexible platform. As far as picking themes, choose one that allows you to post what you want where you want. Do you want single column, or 3 column? Do you want a calendar in the sidebar? Google for farm sites and wordpress and look at as many as you can. Then go ahead and get a site. Themes can always be changed later without losing any of your data!
As far as pictures go, include as many as possible (just remember to keep the size down, preferably 72ppi). Customers love to see the farm & your growing process. Our customers were on broadband last year so image size wasn't a factor in setting up our website.
Liz