market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] displaced farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] displaced farmers
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:06:54 -0500

Road's End Farm wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
> In any case, I am expecting the lease I am looking forward to
> sign to be notarized, so I am reasonably certain that it will, indeed,
> be binding.
>
> That kinda remind that I should actually consult a notary ahead of the
> negociation to clear up the question.
>

> I would consult a lawyer first; preferably one with experience in this
> particular area.
>
> Here, at least, all a notary does is officially witness the signatures;
> they have nothing to do with the language of what's actually being signed.

That is one of the difference between common and civil law system.
Québec is under a civil law system[1], where notaries provide legal
advice and are actually responsible for drafting private law contracts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_law_notary

I have an appointment set in two weeks, with a notary experienced in
agricultural property transfer. Very much looking forward to it!

[1]: Actually, Québec is the only jurisdiction (along with Louisiana and
Puerto Rico) under civil law in North America, a situation that date
back to the British conquest and the Treaty of Paris of 1763. Yep, I'm
also an history buff! :)