market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA worker payment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA worker payment
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:44:29 -0500

I offer a work option - if you work 12 hours, in three 4 hour shifts, you receive a $50 rebate at the end of the season.  One of my CSAs has also had a work requirement of 12 hours/season and the value of the labor was built into the price.   With the work option, my expectations of the quantity of work which will be done aren't really high.  I look at it more as an opportunity for people to get their hands dirty and expose their kids and grand kids to market gardening or berry picking.  I don't expect the shareholders to provide a significant fraction of my work hours.

I wouldn't consider a working share like you mention unless I knew the person who wanted the arrangement well and I was confident that we could work well together.  In short, I would consider the working shareholder as more of an employee than a customer.  As far as valuing the working shareholder's time, depending upon my expectations of the value they would provide it would be at least minimum wage up to market rate for the labor they provide.

Andy

pech wrote:
542351.61329.qm AT web112411.mail.gq1.yahoo.com" type="cite">
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you CSA people. How do you figure hours worked for a share? For example I have a peoson who wants to work for 1/2 the share price and I don't know how many hours she should expect to work The past couple of years I haven't really had to deal with this but this year seems different. I guess I'm looking for an hourly wage. Any thoughts?

Thanks
dave
Z6a