market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] reply to recommendations on accounting...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] reply to recommendations on accounting...
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:30:16 -0500

chiming in here...

I use a web-based program called Freshbooks, which isn't really for farming--I have to send out invoices to web/graphics clients, and it allows other features for the type of work I do.  But there are many other web-based accounting services perfect for farming operations where you don't need to learn a new program with the learning curve of Quickbooks or Quicken (I know--I have Quickbooks and I HATE it.   The web-based services are sooo much easier, simpler to use, and there's always support available to help when stuck!!)  Some charge a fee, some try to upsell you, but many have basic free packages.  The beauty is they don't depend on your operating system...they're all browser based, constantly updated and tweaked without you having to do anything.  (They especially work better if you use FireFox or Google Chrome, but that's just a personal opinion; )).

I also understand many are hesitant about putting this type of info online, but these sites are SECURE, and if you do any banking online, then that risk already exists.  Soo...you just have to weigh the risks/opportunity/time savings yourself.

I googled and found this listing: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=web+based+accounting&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS289US289&ie=UTF-8

This may be another option other than purchasing over-bloated software.

Liz Pike (finally scheduled for back surgery Nov 17!!)
Horseshoe Gardens
Hillsville VA