market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] reply to recommendations on accounting...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] reply to recommendations on accounting...
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:11:54 -0500

Just be careful with your operating system and quickbooks.  If I were buying QB now, I would get a computer running Win7 too.  Like windows, QB has a bad habit of upgrading their software regularly and dropping support of all older versions.   While QB 2010 will work on vista or win7, 2011 will likely work only on win7.  You cannot run QB on linux with windows emulation.

I would love to get off windows altogether. . . we currently run a win2k box just for quickbooks 2006.   They have dropped all support and interactive services as of last spring.  So be, but know when you commit that you're not just paying for the accounting program.  Maybe you want to print checks. . . do payroll. . . $. . . $. . . $.  You could easily have a bit of money tied up in your accounting program and then find out you have to upgrade not only the accounting program, but also your computer or OS.

Does anyone know of a linux accouting program (that works well)?  I have searched and found nothing geared to a small business where $ are concerned.

Lynn Wiblin wrote:
This is my first year, and I am using Quickbooks-the simple start free version-the only problem I had with it, was I couldn't find anywhere that let me email copies of my financial reports-the "HELP" said to click on the mail button, but there was no such thing-at least that I could see? Does anyone have the answer to this?

Also, I am located in SouthEastern Ohio-at our Adult tech training/career center, we have a farm advisor that has a software package that he shares/sells to our county farmers, and then he helps us fill it out each year-it's not free, but they also teach classes on how to do it that is included in the cost-don't know if other counties do this or not....I think it is in conjuction with farm bureau and possibly extension.

thanks,

Lynn Wiblin
Growing Traditions at Legacy Grace Farm
8529 Veto Road