market-farming - [Market-farming] questions about plugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <BARKINGCATFARM AT MINDSPRING.COM>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] questions about plugs
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:14:42 -0500

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all the great replies on salad mix harvesting. We've stopped planting mix now and switched back to our own lettuce plug production which we'll continue well into next May. FWIW, we start our lettuce in 84 cell plugs and do not harden off before we transplant out under a low tunnel. We do that nearly year round (not in summer). We found very little loss by skipping the hardening step especially if we keep an eye on temperature.

Meanwhile, we're struggling to produce enough vegetable (and flower and herb) plugs ourselves as we expand our production on our farm. I've been looking into buying vegetable plugs and it seems like the only certified organic plug producer I've found so far (Plug Connections) only sells 288 size trays for vegetables. I have 288 size plug trays. That's a really small plug. I'm thinking I would then have to bring the tray in, immediately up-pot to a 50 cell or so size tray and grow it out for longer before it was large enough to plant out (tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, etc).

Does anyone have an advice in this regard? 288 cell size trays don't solve my problem, they make it worse since I don't have a greenhouse yet. One 288 cell tray will translate into 5-6, 50 cell trays. Is anyone else bringing in plugs trays like this? And if so, what do you?

thanks

Kim
North Central Texas where it's raining, again. zones 8 & 7b