market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] questions about plugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] questions about plugs
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:13:41 -0500

Thanks for the heads up on that Allan. Turns out they're willing to custom sow 128 cell trays, but still require 3 per variety, leaving me in the same place I started.

To answer your question regarding soil for the 50's - I'm having to use 'non organic' soil mix from Sun-grow. I use the #2 mix because it does not have a fertilizer charge. We are not certified organic and have told our customers that sourcing an organic mix locally has been difficult. I could do it if I could commit to buying a pallet full but then there is a shelf life on the wetting agent in those mixes, so that doesn't work. One of my winter tasks is working out a formula for mixing up our own seed starting mix.

As to feeding the 50's, I switched to a constant feed program similar to what is done in larger greenhouses. Really should be called something of a 2/5 feed, feed 2 x week, just water the rest of the time. I feed trays still under shelter 50 ppm N each time they're fed and outside trays 100 ppm N. It's been working very well for us. And in fact, corrected some nutrition problems I was seeing. I'm using water soluble fertilizers like fish emulsions, seaweed, etc.

Kim