market-farming - [Market-farming] asparagus Fall harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT VALLEY.NET (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, Frederick.Crowley AT VALLEY.NET (Frederick Crowley)
  • Subject: [Market-farming] asparagus Fall harvest
  • Date: 11 Sep 2009 14:27:10 -0400

--- You wrote:
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:07:53 -0400
From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207ME.com>
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus

Years ago Rodale wrote about having an asparagus planting which was left
alone through spring and summer till August when it was mowed off and a
harvest was taken till cold weather. Anyone ever tried it? As we have found
frozen asparagus less than desirable I am thinking of trying a part of my
patch in fall production next year.

MAsteveINE
--- end of quote ---

Steve, I'd done it for years in a previous Vermont location and it's a treat
getting out of season asparagus. However, it is a bit different in several
ways; viz: spear production is sparser (not the bountiful flush of spring
growth); picking times are not as long (each spear ferns-out more quickly
than in spring); and I think the spears tend to be a trifle less tender. I
think Fall harvest is probably better suited for the kitchen garden (or
personal use) than as a commercial crop, but then again, out of season crops
may command higher prices and if you've got adventuresome customers, local
Fall asparagus may be well received.

Fred Crowley
Vermont