market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic Asparagus
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:41:37 -0400

Harriet - When do you sow dutch clover?

Quoting Harriet Allen :
I started my asparagus two years ago and found that if I plant dutch white clover in between the rows and mulch the asparagus with chopped up leaves that I'm good to go.  I'm only mulching about 12 to 15 inches wide so I don't need as much mulch as I might without the clover.  I still have to weed some and mow the clover now and then, but the asparagus looks very healthy.  I also dumped a lot of compost, rock phosphate and greensand into the trenches when I planted.  The first year the weeds were a discouragement indeed, so you really have to do something.

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958