market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:22:59 -0500

We usually pick beans twice - once a week for two weeks. The first
picking is usually small - just a few beans per plant - and really takes
too long, but the beans are soooo nice. The second is at the peak and
after that quality declines, it takes too long to pick, so we turn them
under.

If we were really on top of things, to have beans every week, we'd seed
every two weeks. In reality, that rarely happens. But, I hate picking
beans, other crops take less labor and are more profitable, so we don't
sweat it. When we have beans, we sell the heck out of them, and when we
don't, well, we just don't!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm