market-farming - [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 06:29:34 -0400

I do repeated plantings of bush beans, and don't figure on harvesting any one planting for longer than three to four weeks.

I know Ellen at Potomac Vegetable Farms here outside of DC has said that she has found it most effecient to harvest bush beans one time (maybe one week?) and to plant closer successions. I used to nurse a planting for a month and found it worthwhile. It seems to me, though, that recent plantings have been awesome for one week (the 2nd week of having beans) and then hardly worth picking through. I'm thinking right now of our current planting of Provider. Two successive pickings of beans by the handful proceeded and followed by a couple of beans a plant. Wondering how it works for others on this list. Thanks -Allan in WV