market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bush Beans was Greenbeans in the Rain
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that bush beans won't last forever and several good pickings is normal. However, I think you have to take the weather into consideration also.

I am on my 3rd picking of Contender green beans.  I don't have alot, because it takes so much time to pick.  For a one man picking crew (myself) it is hard to justify them sometime.  1st picking 20 pounds, 2nd picking 48 pounds and 3rd picking 18 pounds.  The 2nd picking the weather was very cool and the had lots of moisture to work with.  The 3 picking we just went through a heat wave of 98+ degrees for a week and 25 mph winds.  I couldn't keep the moisture to them fast enough.  I hope I will have a fourth picking and then I will be on to my next planting.

This is just my experience.

Jay