market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] squash bugs and cucumber beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] squash bugs and cucumber beetles
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 15:05:02 -0400

We used to cover all cucurbits with row cover.  Which proved impossible as our plantings grew in size.(particularly winter squash)  I'll still use row cover at transplanting in some instances for some summer squash, cukes, and melons.  Partially for insect control but also for the warming effect.  Anyhow.....

We feel really fortunate that Surround has come on the scene and have been using it quite effectively on a number of crops.  As a rule of thumb, whether they're to be covered or not all of our cucurbits get sprayed with Surround prior to coming out of the greenhouse and going into the ground.  Depending on the pest pressure, etc. you'll have to reapply it about a week later and maybe a week after that.(squash certainly produce new leaves fast)  At that point the plants are usually pretty well established and don't need the coverage anymore.

Pyganic seems to have some "knockdown" (or deterrent) effect on cuke beetles but is far from fool proof.  It will control squash bugs at they're nymph stage pretty well.  We keep both on hand but for the most part don't use anything other than Surround at planting.  We've accepted that something will put down our cucurbits at some point be they bugs or be it disease.  It's proved to be more economical to plan on multiple plantings (other than winter squash).  We treat with Surround, harvest heavily for a few weeks, and till under that planting as the next one comes on.  Unintentionally this also seems to help us kill a bunch of the buggers from the first population explosion when we till the plantings under.  Anecdotally we seem to be seeing smaller populations each year since taking on this approach.

As an aside Surround kicks butt on transplanted brassicas if you have flea beetle pressure.

And as an additional aside I have NO affiliation with Surround.  And kind of wish I didn't like it so much.  But I do.  It has proved really helpful in many ways!

Brian