market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tractor for subsoiler/chisel plow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tractor for subsoiler/chisel plow
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:19:45 -0400

It might pull a one shank subsoiler under optimal conditions.  But then again why subsoil in optimal conditions?  We have a 35-40 tractor and pull a one shank on heavier soils fairly well.  In real tight spots it'll bog down.  The bigger issue that you'd likely run into with either the subsoiler a field cultivator, small plow, etc. is not having enough traction.

Never-the-less if you have a small tractor lined up you can probably make it work but my gut would be to go a bit bigger.  Even getting into that 40hp range with a bit more weight would probably serve you better in the long run.

Brian