market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:35:37 -0400

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 21:46:50 -0400, you wrote:

>The problem with the local farmers' market is that there aren't any local
>market farmers (the few market farmers here have a CSA or other outlet for
>their produce). Last time I was there, the vendors at the farmers' market
>were backyard gardeners with a few baseball bat sized zucchinis or a basket
>of overripe cucumbers, and someone who sold flowers planted in old boots
>(kinda cool, actually). That farmers' market had many political problems and
>didn't welcome new vendors. A couple of us started a new farmers' market,
>but people came expecting prices lower than the grocery store. The vendors
>dropped out until I was the only one left, so I shut it down.
>
>This area is many years behind the times and very conservative about what
>they eat (I can't sell any tomato that isn't red, even pink tomatoes are
>looked on with suspicion...I had pints of beautiful Sungolds, even gave
>samples, but never sold one; I also can't sell leeks or Florence Fennel,
>although both grow well here...people gawk and point, but don't buy). I
>usually enjoy the backwardness of the people here, unless I'm trying to
>sell quality produce!

We live very near Lynn; about two miles from her place, in fact. I can
vouch for the accuracy of what she says.

Our area is at least 50 years behind the times in many respects; in my
opinion, this is good in some ways (very, very low crime rate and probably
general honesty, for example), but not so good in other ways (racial and
ethnic bigotry, for example). Jingoism, for another example. Seemingly
almost-total scientific illiteracy for yet another example.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.