market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 05:47:30 -0500

Greetings,
Locally, I am in the same boat, that is why we drive 2 hours each way to a real farmer's market in a large city. However, we are working to educate people and we are finding a few customers that used to drive to the same market we sell at. Slowly, we are growing a market for out food, and hopefully, some year we can sell closer to home.
It is a slow process, but selling in the city gives us the means to survive until then.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
This area is many years behind the times and very conservative about what they eat (I can't sell any tomato that isn't red, even pink tomatoes are looked on with suspicion...I had pints of beautiful Sungolds, even gave samples, but never sold one; I also can't sell leeks or Florence Fennel, although both grow well here...people gawk and point, but don't buy). I usually enjoy the backwardness of the people here, unless I'm trying to sell quality produce!