market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce price?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:32:40 -0400

Yeah, I was about to post about the honor system, but see others have
already suggested it. We have several honor stands around here (& I'm in a
similar situation as you, very rural, everyone has gardens, NO ONE HERE eats
organic, which is why we drive 1 1/2 hours to get to a decent farmer's
market), but if/when we do a farm stand, it will be on the honor system.

We also have a farmer who does meat and eggs on the honor system except he
doesn't put it out in his produce stand. A note is posted for customers
wanting meat or eggs directs them to his back porch where he keeps a stocked
refrigerator. On the door of the fridge is a clipboard. Customers write
down what they take & put the money in the cash box inside the fridge. So
far he hasn't had any theft. Family is in and out all day, so it's not too
secluded. Maybe this or some variation will free up your time.

Also, if your stand has a particularly busy time, with many folks scrounging
to make grocery money, maybe a housewife/mom/family in your area would be
willing to man the stand for a couple of those busiest hours in exchange for
produce. Doesn't even need to be everyday, maybe your busiest days?? Just
an idea....

Oh, and keep your prices even so it makes for easier change making.
Although many customers will round off in your favor!

Liz
Horseshoe Gardens, home of tomatoes that just aren't taking off....thanks
rain.