market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:46:24 -0400

What are you using for fertility?

>>compost, Harmony, fish emulsion (as seedlings)

When do you fertilize?

>>seedling stage & at transplant

How do you seed your salad mix, or do you transplant? (I ask because I keep
getting germination failures)

>>direct sow AND transplants. Direct sow then fill in bare spots with
transplants/plugs that are the same age.

How do you harvest it?

>>varies as to when it's ready, usually at 3 weeks, but we're still
harvesting from plantings 6 weeks ago

Do you cut the same bed more than once?

>>greenhouse sowing we cut twice, outside sowings, once

How soon after ending harvesting in a salad mix bed are you able to re-plant
it?

>>2 weeks

At what point do you start seeding 'summer' lettuces? (Like Jerhrico)

>>already have 6 weeks ago

Do you use shade cloth?

>> just put it on this week.

If you use shade cloth, do you cover the full bed or just the top of the
bed?

>>draped over full bed

How do you water your head lettuce? Your salad mix?