market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 12:21:48 -0400

TIme at the market and good quality (nicely shaped, good size and clean) will distinguish your product. What you don't want to do is drop your prices and sell too cheap just to get rid of it. You are better off selling at an appropriate price and donating your excess to a food pantry or composting it than to sell it all cheap. Being early can also help a little, late not so much on many things as people get tired of certain fruits and vegetables and won't buy them after the regular season. I used to see this a lot with sweet corn and watermelon - they would sell real well until Labor Day, but not well at all afterwards.

Andy

Richard Moyer wrote:
All kinds of lettuce at market yesterday, in quality, quantity and price. Sold what I took, but the last of it late. We have a few hundred butterhead and looseleaf coming on, ready in 1-4 weeks.
For a new market grower, any strategies you all can share on selling during abundance? What distinguishes your product?
What about producing early and/or late (hence avoiding the glut)?
Thanks,
Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
Wishing I had more young spinach now.