market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stover <rnstover AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 19:11:38 -0500

I used valves operated on timers for my drip line. I would keep the beds well soaked at mid-day to relieve heat stress and keep the roots from drawing moisture from the leaves. I believe the cool water also helps lower soil temperature. Also, I didn't see any mention of mulching the lettuce in previous posts (I just got on the list a couple of days ago). Good, clean straw helps keep the roots cool, retains moisture and keeps the leaves clean, no splash from rain.

Richard Stover
Pierpont Farms, Missouri