market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 12:32:17 -0400

On May 17, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Andy Fellenz wrote:

TIme at the market and good quality (nicely shaped, good size and
clean) will distinguish your product. What you don't want to do is
drop your prices and sell too cheap just to get rid of it. You are
better off selling at an appropriate price and donating your excess to a
food pantry or composting it than to sell it all cheap.

I strongly agree with that. -- Try selling by variety name, also; and try selling mixed bags with three or so different varieties / colors in one bag. I sell lots of mixed-bag lettuce, but very little of the same varieties as individual heads.

Being early can
also help a little, late not so much on many things as people get tired
of certain fruits and vegetables and won't buy them after the regular
season. I used to see this a lot with sweet corn and watermelon - they
would sell real well until Labor Day, but not well at all afterwards.

This depends on the crop, I think. Around here, at least, people will buy lettuce any time of year. And people who get in the habit of buying your lettuce when nobody else has it will be more likely to buy yours next spring when everyone has it (at least, assuming that it's high quality).