market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland" <karen AT protoscape.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing lettuce (and veggie) glut
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 17:05:20 -0400

We grow lots of varieties of eggplant and do mixed bags of eggplant varieties. They look gorgeous and sell well and help customers try new types they'd otherwise be afraid of. But a good portion of customers also want just their favorite type...or don't want their unfavorite types. So we bag both ways. Usually all sell out as everyone else at market grows one of two standard varieties.

We also mix colors/varieties of pole beans, long beans, southern peas, kohlrabi -- most anything that cooks up the same way and makes an attractive package. It helps draw positive attention to the table.

Best wishes and my continuing gratitude to all for the generous and oh- so-helpful sharing of information,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs