market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Baby Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Baby Squash
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:24:59 -0400

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so I will. (Of course, maybe I didn't read closely enough.)

When we started our CSA (in the 90's), members would get upset if zucchini got big. We stopped giving out the 'logs' we 'discovered' and only sent out semi-logs (that's a CSA farmer joke).

About two years ago I found a bunch of big ones one delivery day and sent an email out, jokingly, to see who wanted them. It turns out that a lot of people wanted them. Now we keep a list of who wants THE BIG ONES and set them out separate from the shares.

The reason they want them is they (apparently) grill really well. People quarter them (or more) length-wise and marinate them and then put them on the grill. Apparently, they are awesome!

This must have been on Opra, or something, as so many people changed their minds about 'too big' squash rather fast.

-Allan in WV, where we serve the sophisticated DC CSA market