market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA Work Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Maisie Ganz <farmermaisie AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA Work Shares
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:01:59 -0700

We have volunteers and worktraders. volunteers are not expecting to be payed in produce, but we still let them pick things we have abundance of, we are done harvesting, has started to go to seed, etc. there is always something to share with them at the end of their time working with us, so it works out nicely. we have one morning a week every week that is open for them, or anyone new who is interested, to come and work with us. we set up the morning so that it is something that works well with many unskilled people, but conducive to spending time all together and having a good time learning and talking. we have an email list we are always adding too, which i email the day before reminding them that the next morning we will be there from 9-1 and what we will be doing.

work-traders however are expected to be consistent all season, starting in the spring when we have more work anyway, but not necessarily a lot of food to share yet. They come every volunteer day, and once CSA and farmers market begins each worktrader comes once a week, either a harvest day or the same regular volunteer day, and does their hours (4 seems to be a good amount). They can then pick themselves extra after our harvest tasks, OR come to market/CSA pick up at the end and have choice of the leftovers (always a nice selection, no matter how hard we try to pick the right amount!)

People seem to love the set up. Most are interested in learning more about gardening and/or are putting in their own gardens, and find the volunteer days perfect for learning the seasonal flow of activities, asking advice, and sharing in good hard work outside with others. the food share is just a bonus.

hope that helps as one model!

--
there is laughter inside simple, and where there is laughter it is good for everybody.