market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Baby Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: sue AT oberlebotanical.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Baby Squash
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:40:06 -0400

On May 21, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Sue Oberle wrote:

I've taken squash "logs" to market reluctantly until about 2 yrs ago. Put them in crates & sold them as seconds for $1.50 each. They sell out so fast it scares me. Many people have no idea why we call them seconds.

I used to bring only little zucchini until it sunk in to me that some of my customers wanted the big ones. And then it sunk in to me why. They're not crazy, they're using them for different styles of cooking. If you want to saute them, for instance, you want the little ones, definitely. If you want zucchini bread, or certain stuffed zucchini recipes, or zucchini relish, you do indeed want big ones. Some of my customers take different sizes depending on what they want to do with them; others know only the recipes for little ones, or only the big ones. They give each other funny looks when they're standing next to each other waiting to pay: what on earth do you want *those* for?

I wouldn't call them seconds. They're not; they're just the right size for a different type of use.