market-farming - [Market-farming] Scales and Electricity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Scales and Electricity
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:41:26 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question for those who use scales at their farmers markets.  Is electricity provided?  If it is not, I presume you have a battery powered scale.  If you do not have a battery powered scale, how do you power it?

Here is the situation. Some close friends own a small grocery store chain and one of their price computing scales isn't working correctly, the memory won't remember price changes anymore. They chose to replace it with a new scales.  They GAVE me the old scales.  It is a Mettler-Toledo 8450.  I have found it for sale online for $600-$2,100.  The problem is I only have easy access to electricity at one of my markets.  So, how can I get electricity?  I was thinking I could use a power inverter that plugs into the cig lighter in my truck and run an extension cord to my stand.  Would that work?  Will it run down my battery?  Will I need to run my truck the whole time?  What works for you?  I have the power inverter, I use it to sharpen chainsaw blades when I am out cutting wood. I always have run my truck because, my help is usually always cold.  I could set it up and plug it in and see if it works and doesn't run my battery down. But I thought I could ask you all before I find out that I need to jumpstart my truck!

This model doesn't run off of batteries, I looked that up. Any other options.

Thanks for any input.

Jay