market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] workshoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] workshoes
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:36:32 -0400

My brother turned me on to Timberland Pros for work boots. Steel toed, but more comfortable than any other pair of shoes I have owned. Expensive, in the range of $140, but last time I went shoe shopping, I couldn't find anything else that felt anything like it.

I used to wear Timberland boots but the quality has come down very much in the past 5 or 6 years. I used to get years of wear out of a pair. My last pair only lasted a couple of months. We have a Timberland store here. The salesman said to me 'Timberland sells to high school kids nowadays. Most anything we sell is really only good for walking in hallways. That includes the Pro stuff.' I see it at Tractor Supply, but I'm not ready to try again, especially when they are priced like real boots.

Which reminds me: I bought a pair of Columbia boots once. As long as I owned them it felt like I'd put someone else's shoes on by accident. Creepy! (They didn't hold up long, either.)

I had good luck with a pair of vasque but their current line is very light weight.

I made a trip to the Red Wing store. Some nice boots there but, if you can believe it, the salesman didn't want to measure my foot, even though they do make many lines of boots that come in many sizes and widths. The only way they could be worth the money, though, is if you can take advantage of the 'real fit.'

-Allan in WV where he's pretty happy in a $89 pair of Merrels