market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] blown over hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] blown over hoophouse
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 22:20:20 -0600

I’m so sorry Curtis.  Having been through this I know how difficult it is – I think I still have PTSD and when the wind blows these days I’m still a nervous wreck. I don’t even want to think about my boys that went through it (twice) with me where you’re trying to hang on to plastic blowing away and a twisted, mangled frame.  There’s nothing like the powers of nature to make you feel pretty insignificant and powerless.

When I rebuilt after my ex-husband left several people in the area recommended using a double layer of poly with a blower. I’m in SE Colorado and we get winds coming off the mountains plus some strange currents through the Arkansas River valley and our little river.  The idea is that the blower is pushing against the wind and it can’t get a grip.  The blower didn’t come with any sort of instructions and it had a little slide that controls how much air is blowing. A neighbor wired it up for me and I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t inflating.  Well the little slide door was closed!  We have a home-made frame and not the greatest design.  About 10 days or maybe 2 weeks after getting everything rebuilt we had a nasty storm and tore it apart.   Our entire church came out and helped rebuild – they re-engineered the frame and rebuilt the rest. I still wish we’d put the corners in concrete.  When I reordered the plastic cover he asked me about the blower and I found out how it worked. Not sure if it would have helped or not.  I also ordered the woven strapping.

Ours is about 12 high in the center.  Originally we tied the woven strapping to rebar halfway in between about half the  hoops (30x100 with 5’ hoop spacing).  A  year later we had a nice gentle rain one morning and then the wind started up and just about took off with the entire thing. The rebar wasn’t working.  We started pounding in T-posts at an angle and tied the strapping to that.  I can send pics if you want.

I can’t say enough about the strapping.  I really think it’s the way to go.  I’m not running the blower these days. We’re at 4 years and have too many leaks in the film.

The other thing I’m glad I did is made solid ends. Ours runs E-W and we used 4x8 sheets of exterior siding on 2x4 frame. If it really starts blowing we close the doors.

Don’t know what to tell you on the plants.  I had just started planting and we’re still getting strange things sprouting in strange places.

I’d guess similar to a hailstorm – clean up what you can, trim things and pray for a miracle.

Hang in there!
Marcy

SE Colo