market-farming - [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:07:03 -0400

My heirloom tomatoes in 3 inch pots in the unheated hoophouse took on a great growth spurt in the past two weeks. They've gone from 10 inches tall to probably 36 inches tall without it really dawning on me what was going on. There are about 30 flats of them and, yes, they are side-by-side. Yesterday, a bunch of them 'collapsed' and it became very evident that I had to either repot them or put them out.

They are VERY tender/delicate in the stem. I leave my tunnel doors open but to not have fans to agitate the plants. They are VERY floppy

I'm thinking of running right outside with them and planting then in shallow trenches.

I'm on the east coast and have constant rain for about a week. Highs around 80, lows above 45.

The question: In your experience, do you think I'd really be setting back my tomato harvest (in volume) if I rush these plants into the field without any sort of hardening off?

I don't think it's much, if any, colder outside at night than it is in the house but, yes, the plants are 'weak.' I'm not sure what hardening off means in this case.

I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions and also in hearing what you are using to fertilize your tomatoes.

These are brandywines and arkansas travelers and cherokees.

Thanks

-Allan