market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Question on Leasing Land, what price?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT alltel.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Question on Leasing Land, what price?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:21:04 -0400

Flying S Farms wrote:
We are in Middle Tennessee, starting our 6th year of market farming. Currently farm 2 acres and have the opportunity to lease 5 acres about 30 minutes outside of town. We have never leased before and want to pay the man a fair price for the land; what is the going rate for leasing land?
Wish you lived around here.  We don't know what's a fair price, but we lease our back 12 acres to our neighbor who grows hay and/or grazes his cows for $50 worth of hay/year!  He installed all the electric fencing.    I use the hay for mulch in my organic gardens and we don't have to mow 12 acres.  Win-win.

Bobbett in south-central KY