market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Storage
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:07:08 -0500

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:31:14 -0500, you wrote:

>Regards to the List:
>
>Here I sit, at the dining room table, surrounded by packets of seeds.
>There's a huge pile for direct seeding in May, a pile of peas for April,
>greens, lettuces, herbs, some that might be outdated, new ones . . . the
>list goes on and on.
>
>How do you keep all the seeds straight? Some of these might end up like my
>garlic did this winter - forgotten or lost. I think I need to figure out a
>system to keep track of the seeds we have other than in shoeboxes stacked
>inside a big tote and put in the basement.
>
>Any advice?

At present, we have the wonderful luxury of having one very large freezer
and one medium-sized freezer. (Although if electric rates keep going up,
we'll probably stop using one of them.) Both freezers live in our unheated
garage, so they don't use much electricity all winter. (Both are manual
defrost, this wouldn't work with auto defrost.)

I keep my seeds in ziploc bags - the original seed packets go inside a
ziploc bag. Then the ziploc bags go into plastic shoeboxes - then into the
freezer.

They need to be taken out far enough in advance of using them that the
condensation forms on the OUTSIDE of the package.

I've always wanted those watchmaker cases from Lee Valley, but so far I
haven't wanted them badly enough to actually PAY for them. Maybe someday.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.