market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:25:00 -0500

Also, I have the greens harvester and have reverted to a knife. It just pushed my salad mix down rather than cut it (yes, it was sharp, though it is rusty now) and I had trouble emptying the salad into a container without spilling it. Call me uncoordinated.

Marcy - I have the greens harvester, also. It has to be continuously sharpened. The sharpening is easy, but requires a 'special' file. I would encourage you to plan for and plant for the shortest harvester as the longer one really seems to require 2 people and then what have you gained?

As far as the seeder, in my exeprience, Beth is accurate in her comments, but I don't feel she is accurate in her conclusions.

As the inventor of this high priced tool will tell you, it is a tool, not a machine. That is, it takes skill to get the best out of, it doesn't do the work for you. When you get it right though, oolala!!

I would encourage you to find an old 'turf roller' to prepare beds for using this seeder. (Not a bad thing to use in seeding, anyway!) If you roll the beds, which you can actually do with the empty seeder upside down, the seeder, which feeds seed through friction, seeds much more accurately. In my experience, the drive o-ring pops off because the bed is too loose and soil gets under the o-ring in the pulleys and then the o-ring pops off. "Packing" the seedbed will prevent this. (BTW - You ALWAYS have to keep you eye on any and every aspect of any of the pinpoint seeders while they are seeding!)

If you are going to do cut-and-come-again seedling mixes, you pretty much need a pinpoint seeder. The amt of seed they will save you will pay for the seeder in a relatively short time.

-Allan in WV