market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: davepurpura AT yahoo.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractors
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:33:53 -0500

For a loader tractor, 4wd beats 2wd any day of the week.  I had a IH384 w/loader and even with loaded tires the rear end got too light when we were using the loader.  I have a loader on a 70hp AC 180 now which is also 2WD.  This tractor has wheel weights, loaded tires and weighs about 10,000 lb and a smaller 4wd tractor would be better any day of the week.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com

david purpura wrote:
678412.43215.qm AT web34401.mail.mud.yahoo.com" type="cite">
Hi All.  I'm in the market for a new tractor this year and would like to hear suggestions/experiences/warnings, etc..

We're using old farmalls for tillage, cultivation, mowing, etc.  I'm looking for a tractor to use as a loader for making compost, to pull a transplanter, and possibly a plastic-layer.  Future uses might be rototilling, or attaching a backhoe.  I have sandy, well-drained soil, I don't think I need four wheel drive, and don't need a lot of horsepower.  I'm thinking about the 5000 series JD, or similar 40 - 50 hp machine.

thanks,
dave