market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: davepurpura AT yahoo.com, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractors
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:40:39 -0500

We searched pretty far and wide last year and ended up with a Massey Fergusen 135 with the Perkins diesel engine.  It is a really nice tractor.  They can be found quite affordably and parts are really easy to come by.  They make gas and diesel versions.  The Perkins diesel is known to be one of the best diesel engines of all time.  This was a major selling point for us.  This tractor sips fuel.  It is so good on diesel it's sort of scary?!  They have a high / low range.  Low (1) is awfully slow though probably not quite as slow as an actual creeper gear.  It is slow enough for us to transplant behind however.  We've never been short on power (occasionally traction) and we farm heavyish clay loam with some very stoney pieces that we'll pull a small chisel or field cultivator through for bed prep.  Anyhow it's a great tractor.  I believe the MF 165 is the same but with a bit more horsepower.  In our area these tractors are far more affordable than anything green.