market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 06:06:48 -0400

I use dogs to keep the deer away. it seems to work as there is very little deer damage to the market garden despite there being a herd of 120+ deer in the area.

We run the dogs all night and the deer stay away. We also put dog hair on various crops and that also keeps the deer away (I do not think this would work if there are not dogs already present on the farm).

the dogs we use are 3 mutts that like to run and bark all night
This has worked for us for the past 14 years.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH