market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 19:38:56 -0400

On Thu, 8 May 2008 17:46:25 EDT, Doerunfarmtn AT aol.com wrote:
> We are going to purchase deer fencing (plastic mesh type).  Does anyone have
> suggestions as to the height necessary to do the best job of prevention?  I
> think there are both 7 and 9 foot heights.  We have used electric fencing,
> but they still jump over the fence or crawl through it to decimate our crops
> at some point every year. Thank you for all opinions.  John, Doe Run Farm,
>TN.

Sounds like Doe Run is an appropriate farm name!

I have the 9-foot around my raspberries, and as long as I keep it from
sagging, they stay out. But even better is the fencing around my
garden--three feet of wire mesh, with 6 feet of plastic deer fence above,
sutured together at the seam. The wire allows me to mow up close to the fence
without fear of ruining it. For both, it is stapled to pressure-treated 4x4s,
but this summer i will reinforce that by screwing 1x3 strapping over the
fence against the post. Try to keep the fence from rubbing against anything
in the wind--that's what seems to wear it right out.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/